Thursday, March 28, 2013

Good Friday Thoughts


Easter is Sunday and once again we are bombarded with cute little chicks, dyed eggs, visits from the "Easter Bunny" and chocolate. So many people celebrate Easter with these things, even Christians, but many of us forget the true meaning. I don't believe it is wrong to celebrate Easter with a chocolate bunny, I love chocolate and I love bunnies, but I hate that I am guilty of getting wrapped in these things rather than focusing on what it's really all about.

I find myself getting excited about tomorrow being Good Friday, but rather than being excited because it is the day my sins were payed for I get excited about the fact I only have to work a half day. This saddens me! Good Friday is the day that Jesus went to the cross so that I could be called a child of God, not a holiday from work. How many years have I let Good Friday pass me by without even thinking about the fact that it is one of the most important days in history?

I so often forget the sacrifice that was made for me. It's so easy to get caught up in every day life and be completely oblivious to how many times a day I mess up. My pastor pointed out that in the Old Testament alone there were over 600 laws set forth by God to be followed 100%. No one comes close to following every one of these things, regardless of how many good deeds, positive thoughts and holy actions they complete. No one. There was absolutely no way for us to enter into God's Kingdom until Jesus came. Jesus was always the plan, as my pastor also said "Jesus was plan A." From the beginning God knew that Jesus would be the path to him. How do I forget these things?! Good Friday is the ultimate fulfillment of God's plan to reconcile us to Him. It is the ultimate display of love and the day that took me from the gates of Hell to the kingdom of Heaven.

I often worry that I don't shine the light of Christ, I wonder if those around me know I am a Christian or if they just think I'm a good person. Do they even think I am a good person? Why is God's love not radiating from me? The sacrifice shown from the events of that Friday so long ago should be more than enough to keep a permanent smile of my face and let every word I speak be one of praise. Yet I fall short daily. More than daily, hourly, possibly every minute. Thank God for Jesus because He made the way for me to still be redeemed even though I am constantly failing God. God desires for me to be better, but He loves me despite my shortcomings, despite the fact that I am constantly failing at being who He deserves me to be.

I want to remember the real meaning of Easter, the true beauty of Good Friday and the sacrifice that was made. Calling it Good Friday always seemed so odd to me because it was the day that Jesus was tortured, the day that He died a painful death despite His being perfect. That didn't seem good. But it is good! He did it because He loves us, to bring us to Him. And if that isn't GOOD then I don't know what is!

No comments:

Post a Comment